Thursday Girly Girl and I made some terrific mashed potatoes, but I have to tell you about the incredibly moist and crunchy chicken that we made for the main dish!!! It was, in the words of Rachael Ray, YUMMMM-O!
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (use 2 tablespoons for extreme flavor!)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (can use more)
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt or white salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumb (can use 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional) or shredded mozzarella cheese, use any amount desired (optional)
Set oven to 350°F.
Butter an 11 x 7-inch pan (if using more than 4 breasts use a larger pan).
In a bowl, combine melted butter with fresh minced garlic, garlic powder and salt.
In another bowl, combine breadcrumbs with 1/2 cup finely grated cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese and coarse ground black pepper.
Dip chicken in butter mixture; then in crumb mixture.
Place in prepared pan and bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes (placing the chicken on a rack in a pan will produce an extra crispy crust).
**NOTE** for moist tender breasts cooking time should take no more than at the most 35 minutes unless they are very large then you might have to add on a couple extra minutes).
Top with shredded cheddar or mozzarella the last 5 minutes of cooking.
**Note** the original directions stated to bake covered for half of the cooking time, I have since changed it to bake uncovered the full time for a crispier coating.
You can also find this recipe at RecipeZaar.