This is my first week participating in the bi-weekly Barefoot Blogger event. Thanks to Kenzie’s Kitchen and her choice of Ina’s Chinese Chicken Salad. I have to admit, I waited until the last minute to make this recipe. This week crept up on me, I was intimidated by some of the ingredients, and I was worried about Mojo not liking it. I roasted the chicken Tuesday and then kept it in the ‘fridge until this afternoon. I didn’t realize I was missing an ingredient, and purposely left a few out. I only made the chicken salad today….I plan on taking it to my Mother’s house tomorrow and see what she thinks about it. I asked Mojo to try it, fully expecting him to turn his nose up at it, but he said he liked it — he thought he would like it more if the chicken was warm. I think I may actually agree with that!…and I think it would be good with some Japanese sticky rice!
Barefoot Contessa PARTIES!
- 4 split chicken breasts (bone-in, skin-on)
- Good olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound asparagus, ends removed, and cut in thirds diagonally***
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and seeded***
- 2 scallions (white and green parts), sliced diagonally***
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds, toasted
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup good apple cider vinegar**
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon honey*
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon peeled, grated fresh ginger*
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan and rub with the skin with olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is just cooked. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove the meat from the bones, discard the skin, and shred the chicken in large bite-sized pieces.
Blanch the asparagus in a pot of boiling salted water for 3 to 5 minutes until crisp-tender. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking. Drain. Cut the peppers in strips about the size of the asparagus pieces. Combine the cut chicken, asparagus, and peppers in a large bowl.
Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing and pour over the chicken and vegetables. Add the scallions and sesame seeds and season to taste. Serve cold or at room temperature.
* — an item I didn’t have. I substituted 1 1/2 Tbsp. of sugar for the 1/2 Tbsp. of honey….and I omitted the Ginger because I forgot to get some at the store….I definitely want to try it with the Ginger, though.
** — an item I substituted. I didn’t have any “good quality” apple cider vinegar, but do have some “good quality” rice vinegar…so, I used it.
*** — an item omitted completely. I omitted these three veggies. The asparagus, b/cuz Mojo doesn’t like it….I however ♥ it. The red bell pepper, b/cuz neither Mojo nor I like it. The scallions, they are related to onions…Mojo doesn’t eat onions under any circumstances.
The result, even omitting the ingredients that I did and substituting the ingredients that I did, was not disappointing at all. This was wonderful! The dressing is tangy and sweet, peanut-y and salty. I was putting the dressing together thinking that I could not believe that I was not excited about this recipe! I am looking forward to making it again, and adding our family’s own little Chinese/Japanese twist to it!!
Try this recipe, you will NOT be disappointed!!!!